8 Tips to get you Downsizing
Posted by Jennifer Sipkens on Friday, August 4, 2023 at 7:30 PM By Jennifer Sipkens / August 4, 2023 Comment
It can be daunting at the best of times to go from a larger space to a smaller one. Pile on the memories and the treasured items, and it can be downright overwhelming! Here are some tips to get you started.
- Start early: Many of my clients started downsizing their belongings up to a year before they actually listed their house. This gave them time to go through the process, find new homes for their stuff, and not be pressured into having to do it in a short amount of time.
- Plan your new space: If you know where you are going, or the size of space you will be moving to, plan out what will fit in that space, and more importantly – what will not. It will be much easier to dispose of items if you know you cannot take it to your new home.
- Start small: Doing a little bit at a time, or a room at a time, can make the process less daunting. If you have a lot of stuff, it might mean starting with a closet! And that is ok!
- Discard duplicates: This is an easy one, but important. When you have lived somewhere for a long time, you sort of forget what you have in your house, and may end up with many similar items! This is especially true with kitchen gadgets. Think about what you can’t live without, and if you haven’t used something in a long time, it may be time to part with it.
- Have a “donate” pile. Gather items that you will donate so you only have to make one trip. Research charities in advance, sometimes thinking about who will benefit from your item can help making parting with it easier.
- Get help from family. It can be easier to go through your stuff with a family member, making time to reminisce and tell stories. If your are going through items with your kid(s), you can share those memories with the next generation. And if it is their stuff – great – they can take it home with them!
- Digitize memories. A lot of times, getting rid of something is hard because it brings up memories for you. Take a photo of it, so you can still enjoy those memories without needing to move it to your new space.
- Do not stress. This process is very likely going to be hard and emotional, but be kind to yourself and don’t overdo it if you start to feel overwhelmed or emotional. Tomorrow is another day!